EAting disorders: Information and support for carers
A parent-led initiative to share skills & information & provide mutual support for those caring for a loved one with an eating disorder.
We are based in Essex, UK and also support families in Suffolk.
parents & Carers can do so much to help recovery....
We are a group of parents who met through NHS Eating Disorders service. We attended an 11 week Skills Based Course for Parents based on the New Maudsley Method which provided information, skills and confidence to support recovery. Through pooling our knowledge and experiences, and offering empathy and understanding, we hope to help other families support their loved one through recovery.
EAS-ED has two main aims:
1. To provide information that has been found to be helpful to those caring for someone with an eating disorder, covering a wide range of topics. Our website has sections on education, employment, accessing therapy, looking after yourself and much more.
2. To provide regular support meetings for carers where people can meet up and share experiences and provide mutual support.
Whether your loved one is a child, adolescent or adult, whether you are a parent, partner or carer, we welcome you. If you would like to connect with us and join our support group, or talk to someone, please see the page for 'EAS-ED Support Group ' for more information and use the 'Contact Us' page to see dates of meetings. If you include your contact details we will reply and can let you know about support group meetings and send you newsletters by email if you are interested. We will always respect your privacy and confidentiality.
Do you need support? Please see our Contact Us page.
EAS-ED is an unfunded organisation run entirely by parent volunteers
We are not trained professionals and do not offer medical advice, therapy or counselling
The information on this site is not a substitute for professional advice
(Click on item to go direct to the page)
- For Carers
- Initial Reactions
- Looking After Yourself
- Relaxing (including Coping with Stress)
- Work Life Balance
- Welfare Benefits
- Think Positive
- EAS-ED Support Group
- Accessing Therapy - including how to access therapy via NHS
- Types of Eating Disorders
- Co-existing conditions
- Skills Based Course
- Skills for Carers
- Recovery Story
- Carers Stories
- Inpatient Units
- Education & Beyond
We launched our website in September 2014, and we hope you will find it helpful. We welcome your feedback and contributions - Please help us to improve the site.
You can find out about our support group meeting dates and send brief messages using the 'Contact Us' page.
Please bookmark our site and revisit us often to see new material.
HAVE YOU SEEN....?
Some of our activities, featured in our regular in newsletter, include:
- Evening Meetings: First evening meetings in Chelmsford area, well supported by mums & dads. If interested in future evening meetings, let us know via the 'Contact Us' page.
- Church Service for Carers: We held a simple, reflective church service for parents & carers of loved ones struggling with mental ill-health.
- Attended the Essex Mental Health Strategy Launch event
- Featured on BBC Essex Radio with Jenny Langley, to raise awareness of eating disorders in men & boys
- Hosted evening event for carers - covered Skills Practice, The Mechanics of Stress, and Scrap-booking for Relaxation
- Attended EDIC - 2016 Eating Disorders International Conference in London
- We supported a Chat for Change carers event
- In October, we were invited back to host a stand at the East Anglia Eating Disorders Network Conference.
- Group representatives attended information events hosted by NELFT, which has won the contract to provide mental health services for children and young people across Essex, Southend & Thurrock, outlining the launch of the new 'Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Service'.
- We have updated the Accessing Therapy page to reflect the change in provision of NHS eating disorders services for young people in Essex with effect from November 1, 2015.
- We attended a 'Learn & Share' conference for voluntary organisations in the health sector.
- In June/July we helped deliver a 5-week course for carers covering Holistic Resources for Managing Stress, with input from a range of professionals from health, education, and community / faith leaders.
- Opportunities to 'Walk & Talk' at various locations around Essex.
- We added a page on Welfare Benefits - see tab For Carers.
- Face Recovery Instagram -The inspirational recovered ‘Young Consultants’ from Maplehust ED Team have developed an Instagram site to promote recovery which sends out positive messages supporting recovery:- https://instagram.com/facerecovery/
- For Eating Disorders Awareness Week in February, EAS-ED teamed up with the CAMHS Eating Disorder Team to run an open event to raise awareness of eating disorders and the therapy and support available in Essex. The evening was aimed at individuals, relatives and health & education professionals. There were speakers from CAMHS Eating Disorders team, EAS-ED carers support group, and an inspirational Young Consultant, covering information about eating disorders, help and support for carers and stories of recovery and hope. The event was featured on BBC TV Look East News.
- Three members of the EAS-ED team were interviewed on BBC Radio Essex for the Dave Monk show.
- One of CAMHS ‘Young Consultants’ has kindly allowed us to publish her inspirational story of recovery from anorexia. This can be found under ‘Accessing Therapy’ – Recovery Story.
Autumn / Winter 2014:
- In October, we were invited to present 'Parents Perspectives' to 70+ Eating Disorders (E.D.) professionals at the East Anglia Eating Disorders Network Conference.
- We were finalists, jointly with Young Consultants, for NEP NHS Trust's 'Improving the Patient/Carer Experience' Award in November.